Friday, January 12, 2007

"Fruits and Flowers"


Fruits and Flowers: Prints from the Salvador Dali Museum is now being shown from January 11 through February 13 at The Art Gallery located at Florida Gulf Coast University.

The opening reception was last night. Although, anyone can visit the exhibit in the Art gallery now until February 13, I love going to openings. Saying this, I would expect everyone to feel this way. How often does a chance like this come? The ability to see such a significant artist in your own backyard, may not be an option to many. Is opportunity made too accessible to people? Is easy access being taken for granted? I mean what artist has to show up in order to make such an impact that The Art Gallery would be packed so tightly anyone would be content with getting a glimpse of a piece(like at the Louvre waiting at least 15 minutes to get in eye distance with Leonardo de Vinci's Mona Lisa)?

Salvador Dali is one of the most significant artists in all of art history,(not to mention one of the most popular amongst the even the non-artsy fartsy), and there were few that came to his opening reception. Due to the fact that the prints present were not his most significant pieces, I would like to believe that this is the reason so few came.


On another note, I was taking a look at Dali's main website. This is on my list of places to visit: Salvador Dali .


I was also able to find a Curator's Choice from the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida. This museum is excellent and has some of Dali's most famous paintings.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice D. I need to get back on the ball and update my stuff. Look forward to more!

January 12, 2007 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home